Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Shopping at Walmart

On Monday evenings my wife and I often drive our 2 oldest daughters to their youth group at our church. Its a decent drive so we stay there until the youth group event is done for the night.

Sometimes we go to dinner, sometimes we shop, last night we walked around Walmart.

Now walking around Walmart usually means ending up in the fabric area or the toy area or some other area where time seems to stand still and bore me to death. So to combat this I now often will head over to the magazine aisle and grab something to look through while we decide what looks better, purple or yellow or green.

1%

I saw all the sports magazines but I had just bought those stupid running shoes, so "Runner's World" stood out. I am a very confident (ok arrogant, whatever!) guy but I actually thought how silly I would look walking around Walmart reading "Runner's World." I look NOTHING like a runner. I can just picture ME on the "Walmart People" emails going around the web with my stomach and reading Runner's World!

I got over it and found the wife and 2 youngest in the fabric section. How they can be so happy looking at fabric...well, whatever. Of course my youngest needed to go....so I took her over to the restrooms with my magazine in hand, every now and then peeking up to make sure no camera's were hiding around the corner waiting to snap a "Walmart Freak" pic of me.

As I am waiting outside the restrooms reading the magazine, folded over on itself of course to hide the cover, a young lady emerges from the restroom before my daughters do. As the door opens I hold the magazine a little tighter just to insure this potential "Walmart Freaks" photographer can't make out the cover. She is a twenty-something young lady with a pleasant smile, can NOT be taller than 5 foot 3 and clearly outweighs me.

1%

What is it about running that has me so messed up inside my head? I am now laughing at myself a little. Another young lady walks out of the restrooms and me make eye contact. I am probably smiling because inside I am laughing at my own silliness and she asks me if the 2 young girls in the restroom are mine.

"Yes they are!" I say overly enthusistically back at here.

"They are just adorable!" she says to me!

As I thank her they pop out holding thankfully freshly cleaned, damp hands smiling at life.

How bad can running be? How good can life be?

1%

No comments:

Post a Comment