Monday, January 17, 2011

Ready....Set....

This is how it starts
1%

I hear that only 1% of Americans have finished a marathon.

1%

In high school I was an athlete. In college I was athletic.

1%

In high school I remember our baseball coach PUNISHING us with a run. We were a little extra dumb on the bus ride home. He was mad and needed to teach us a lesson. So we ran a mile around the track when the bus finally returned to the school. This was his way of punishing us, by making us RUN!

1%

And it worked! I hated running. I was not slow. I ran the football pretty well on Friday nights during football season. I stole a few bases in the spring. But even in high school I had developed a hatred for running.

1%

I mocked the cross country team. One of my best friends was on the team back in high school and over 20 years later I still joke with him about it! Something was ingrained in me about running. Something negative.

1%

Now here I am in my 40's vastly overweight with NO COMPETITION! NONE! I did the slow pitch softball thing, I found a few other outlets. Tennis was fun for awhile. But what athletic goal is really out there now for someone like me?

1%

At this moment I can not run a quarter mile. I remember running it in 52 seconds many, many, MANY years ago.

1%

Today I tagged along with my wife and kids on a shopping trip. We stopped in Salvation Army. I found there running shoes that looked in great shape and fit me. $9.00

1%

I wonder if I can.

1%

No comments:

Post a Comment